Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Car woes

My car broke down the other day when I was coming home from work. Very annoying, not only for the inconvenience of having only one car between two people, but also cause I have to deal with mechanics. I know about as much about cars as I do about shopping for women's shoes, so when a mechanic starts talking about car parts that I've never heard of and all the work that needs to be done, my eyes glaze over and my hand moves protectively over my wallet. Thankfully my father in-law is a ‘car man’, (not a Transformer like Optimus Prime (although that would be really cool), I just mean he knows about cars), and can usually sort the necessary from the to-do-later basket of suggested repairs. In this case the best thing we can do is to have the engine ‘reconditioned’, whatever that means, which will set us back about $3000. Yay!, we’re going to be broke again.


As our other car is a bucket of bolts and even older, we also decided to invest in a much newer second hand car. A 2004 Astra to be precise, so as long as the finance goes through we should have the newest car either my wife or I have ever had. Yay! (for real this time)

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Sorry to hear about your woes, but glad to see that expensive lingo-heavy-mechanics aren't just an American occurance. Good luck with the Astra...

7:46 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Greg, my usual mechanic finishes every sentence with the phrase, "know what I mean?" To which I am constantly saying, "No."

Thanks, it will be nice to have a decent car for once....I hope.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home