Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Flying High

I just got back from a work trip up to Sydney. I flew up and back….and man are my arms tired!! Boom-tish! (Actually bad jokes are relevant, so bare with me) It was the first time I’ve been on a plane since coming over here from Scotland as a child. To be honest I wasn’t that excited about the trip, not due to fear of flying, but more over having to drive around Sydney, but I’ll get to that. I flew on Virgin Blue and I learnt a number of things about flying, the main one being that flight attendants shouldn’t make jokes! Here are a couple of examples of their material: “Please make sure your seatbelts are firmly fasten around your necks, sorry, waists.” Or this gem…“When opening the overhead compartments, please be careful that nothing falls out, cause ‘shift happens’. “ I’m sure some of their gags were straight from the ‘Jumbo book of Dad’s Jokes’.

Upon arriving in Sydney I had to drive myself around in a hire car and let me explain why this wasn’t particularly enjoyable for me. 1. Most of the lanes on the roads around the area are about a foot narrower than those I’m used to driving on in Melbourne. 2. NSW drivers are insane, and often try to merge into gaps of 1cm between cars. And 3. the streets were designed by a dyslexic town planner who used a bunch of crooked, twisty pick-up sticks as inspiration for their design.

Also I had and still have a cold and felt crap the entire time. The work side of things was pretty productive, and there were a few amusing anecdotes resulting from that….but who wants to blog about work?

2 Comments:

Blogger BEVIS said...

Did you bring me back a Krispy Kreme doughnut?

(Nice avatar, btw.)

:)

Actually, I'm quite surprised to hear that it was your first time in an airplane since you were a child.

Sydney drivers are no better or worse than Melbourne drivers. They each have different foibles, and both seem insane to the other. I've spent basically half my life in Sydney and half in Melbourne, so I can see both sides of the 'debate' and understand where each perspective comes from, but I will defend Melbourne drivers to Sydneysiders who complain about them, and vice versa.

I hope your cold clears up soon.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Bevis - I sent you an email about the donut issue. The only reason I even thought about getting some while up there was that I saw at least 4 or 5 people get off the plane as I was leaving who were smuggling boxes of them into Melbourne.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home