Thursday, October 26, 2006

I had a ball

Last friday I went to a ball. That's right, I put on my beautiful, sequined ball gown and went off to dance. Well not quite. I actually wore the same suit I'd been wearing to work that day. Having arisen at 5:00am to do so that morning, and coincidentally at the same time on the morning before. Foolishly I am not able to go to bed early either, so needless to say I was pretty damn tired by the time I got home and found my wife ready to go. Oh, and did I mention we were bringing the baby to the thing as well?

Upon arriving there was a row of flaming torches leading up to the building, as the theme was 'Fire and Ice', which blew black smoke all over us. Inside, the decorations were pretty nice, but I found out later that they had planned some huge theme related decorations that hadn't worked out and so had been abandoned. Why the MC mentioned this in his intro I don't know. The other inspiring thing he said was that the hilarious person who had been scheduled as MC had not been able to attend so we were stuck with him, ie. without comedy. They did have a live band which, played soul music for some reason. They were quite good except I wasn't a huge fan of the song selection. I mean they didn't even play 'I like big butts', by Sir Mixalot!

Amazingly even though the place was very loud, the baby stayed asleep...at least until the wife woke her up to change her...but mostly to show her off to people. She handled it well considering that she'd dozed off in the car and woken up to loud music and people dancing around like idiots. As usual people doted over her which allowed me to pickpocket them while they were distracted (kidding!).

Now the point of a ball is to dance. Well....I didn't dance. I was too bloody tired I tell you! Plus someone had to look after the baby. I rather enjoy watching other people dance anyway. For instance there was this one guy (late middle aged), who almost literally flew around the dancefloor like a gazelle! He and his partner (he mostly danced with two women) whirled around at great speed, spinning like a fricken whirling dervish. It was clear that he'd done quite a bit of some weird dancing style before. It was very funny to watch, but I had to take my hat off to him. Most other people gyrated around with a varying degree of skill.

For me the night was pretty crap based on my condition, but I swear next time I'll haul my arse off the seat and tear up the dance floor....mostly cause I'll have a nail in my heel.

6 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

I like to watch people "dance" too...Or their version of it anyhoo. :P

3:58 AM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Steph, see this is why I rarely dance! Cause good dancers like you are watching and laughing at me. ;-)

6:49 AM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

Stop being a brown-noser Javatari. How do you know Steph is a good dancer???

5:24 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Luckyluke, if you read her blog you would find out that she has more dance experience in her little toe than you do in your body...and I've seen you dance! ;-)

9:43 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

Javatari, I have been to Steph's blog a few times and, unless MFZ stands for Macarena Free Zone, I've never seen her refer to her dancing experience. Most of her posts usually refer to one or all of the following:

a. her arse
b. unintentional self-mutilation
c. general banality

I must have missed the post where she talked about touring with The National Ballet for eight years!!! I'm not saying she can't dance or that she is a liar, but she could write anything. If I said the sky was green on my blog, would that make it fact?

And hey, I did three years of tap, and two years of classical! The only time you saw me dance was when I was playing a character on stage who couldn't dance...how can you judge me from that???

3:42 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

And hey, I did three years of tap, and two years of classical!
Luckyluke, and I'm sure you looked great in a tutu. Would you feel better if I said you're a good dancer too? I generally acknowledge that most people are better dancers than me, hence my referring to Steph as being 'good'.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home