Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Magician Profile/Review - Criss Angel

For those of you who don’t know who Criss Angel is, let me describe him. He looks something like a reject from a 90’s rock band and in fact he has a band and thus obviously does like music…if yelling like a freak is what you consider music. If you want to see some photos of him, go here. This is not his claim to fame however, nor why I am writing about him. I’m writing about him as he is quite a famous magician. This might sound like an oxymoron, particularly if you don’t really pay attention to magic at all and couldn’t name a magician other than Houdini or Copperfield if your life depended on it. However Angel has done a couple or seasons of his own magic series, “Mind Freak”, and put out a few dvds and made quite a bit of money. He has also paid his performing dues and didn’t become a success overnight. So what’s so good about him, you may rightly ask? Well let me describe a couple of his tricks. On his tv show he has done stuff like put a piece of thread into his mouth and then pull the thread out of his eye….yes I said eye! As a prelude to this he had a coin signed and placed in his mouth, then apparently swallowing it, he showed some people on the street the coin moving down the inside of his arm…under his skin, where he made an incision with a knife and removed the signed coin! Other memorable effects include seemingly floating himself and others in an open area, setting himself on fire and walking on water.

He is a character that people often love or hate. Love because he does some amazing illusions and is far from the old top hat and tails magician of yesterday. Hate because he doesn't smile much and perhaps comes across as a bit of a poser. A lot of other magicians are probably just jealous of his success and might say things like, "If I had a huge budget and access to the magic constultants (yes there are magic consultants) that he has, then I could do all that stuff." That may be the case, but he is the one who has put in the effort to make it all happen. My personal view is that I enjoy the majority of the magic that he does, but don't really like the stunts that he seems to love doing. For instance the other night I was watching his show and he performed a stunt where he got into a box that had explosives on one side of it and stayed in the box while it blew up! You may be thinking that such a thing sounds like a trick, but that was not how it was billed. His idea was to feel what it was like to be as close to an explosion as possible and he did it. Personally I think it would have been better that when the box exploded, he had vanished, but no, the box went all over the place and there he was, lying curled up on the bottom of it. Love him or hate him, he has certainly done a lot to raise the profile of magic...at least in the US anyway.

20 Comments:

Blogger luckyluke said...

Very insightful review Merlo. A pleasure to read. Now that I've said something nice so my comment is not deleted again...

Why don't you review a local magician next? Maybe someone who claims to be 'amazing', but is more of an 'idiot'? Or perhaps the guy with the rabbit? Presto, is it? What about the guy who does tricks with his trained budgies?

7:28 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

I forgot to ask, when's your next show?

7:31 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

luckyluke, comment deleting only occurs when a joke is made at the expense of a family member, or anything else that I find offensive.

I may review a local magician next time I go see one. Are you doing a show soon? When is it?

My next show will be around Christmas.

8:32 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

My next show will be at Christmas as well...Christmas, 2019!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I've seen that dude before but prefer the other guy. I'm shitfull with names. LOLZ, i know who i mean dammit!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Steph, I psychically sense that you are thinking of David Blaine. In my opinion they both have their merits. I'll probably talk about Blaine at some point as well.

11:44 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

*cough*offtopic*cough*

4:46 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Bevis, ok I'll drop what I'm doing and be right there.

Luckyluke, actually it is kinda a miracle that Mr B, has finally finished his Big Blogger saga.

6:37 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

I've got nothing to add. I just thought it was cruel to see you sitting on nine comments when you've never cracked double figures before. Congrats on becoming semi-popular Merlo!!!

7:33 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

*cough*noidea*cough*

Of course it was freakin' off-topic. YOU try writing such a gigantic online saga as Big Blogger was, and then when you finally finish a finale that took you three weeks to write, find a better way to inform 20 different bloggers about it similtaneously before going to bed at 3am that ISN'T copying-and-pasting the same message into each blogger's comments field.

Show me where Merlo's got a post discussing Big Blogger where I can leave such a notice ON-topic, and I'll gladly oblige.

PS - I'm not really angry, I just felt like writing this as if I was. Now you're sitting on 11 comments, Javatari-slash-Merlo-slash-WhoeverYouAre. Well done.

10:57 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

PS - I bent the rules and put your 'Amazing' posters up around campus for you, LuckyLuke! I bet you don't even remember.



(12 comments.)

11:00 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

No comment.






(13 comments)

12:57 AM  
Blogger Javatari said...

O....k, now I'm not sure who is being sarcastic in an amusing way and who is actually pissed off. So this is how I interpret what has gone down, knowing full well that tone is often hard to get across in short pieces of writing.

1. Bevis posts his Big Blogger advert - now I appreciate why he did it, but am not a fan of advertising in general particularly on blogs. I already knew about the finale from the email he sent and I regularly check his blogs, but he's passionate about his project and can I appreciate the work that goes in to it and his desire to notify people of it. I occasionaly put work into my posts too and also appreciate comments rather than just self promo ads.
EG. comment + blog related ad = ok.
While purely blog promo ads = bug me a bit.

2. Luckyluke made what I believe was supposed to be a lighthearted joke.

3. I responded to the comment as I usually do and made a comment that referred to the length of time the BBlogger saga has gone on for, which Bevis himself has made references to on his own blogs numerous times. Hopefully non offensive to Bevis.

4. (Not counting Luckyluke for some reason trying to bump up my comments) Bevis responds again and despite saying that he's not angry comes across in an angry and defensive (fair enough) manner. BTW I prefer to be referred to as javatari, as that is my username. I believe luckyluke finds it funnier to call me Merlo, but ultimately I don't really care.
Bevis follows this by a reference to something in the real world that he'd done for Luckyluke, who I understand did remember the event.

If there is any animosity about this situation feel free to email me, but otherwise I'm happy to move on.

8:38 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

No anger. Just being silly (as I said I was, in the PS at the end of the main comment).

I've just received an email from LuckyLuke which I'll respond to later tonight or perhaps tomorrow (only because we're heading out now). But it's all good. Sorry if it was poorly communicated. :)

Although I will say that after FINALLY finishing a post as long as the finale, leaving a comment on each of twenty-two different blogs between the hours of 3am and 4am that refers to everyone's current post is an impossible expectation. Bigger picture. I wasn't just moseying in here and then popping off to beddikins.

Plus, Blogger was acting up and it took upwards of fifteen attempts on each blog with word verification for the comment to go through. I could only 'copy-and-paste' one version of the comment/announcement.

My plan is/was/still is to come back and comment on the posts later, now that the Big Blogger monkey is off my back.

Peace to you both. I'll follow up on email as soon as I can.

Hugs and cuddles,

BEVIS

1:37 AM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

Oh, and -- 16 comments.

1:37 AM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

Sorry Merl...oh...Javat...uh...blogger with identity crisis, Bevis and I were both goofing off and both managed to convince the other we were genuinely pissed. We've patched up our differences and this blog can now return to its inane glory. And I'll try to refer to you as Javatari from now on.

(17 comments)

4:29 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

Bevis, just got your email and wanted to say...

I HATE YOU! HOW DARE YOU SAY THOSE THINGS! WHAT DID MY FAMILY EVER DO TO YOU?

KIDDING!!!!!! :)
(I never learn)




(18 comments)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Bevis + Luckyluke , gees, get a room you two! ;-)

5:27 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

javatari + useless reply = shameless attempt to get to 20 comments.




(20 comments)

5:48 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

Actually, as evidenced by Javatari's email, HE'S the one who turned this thing into a fiasco! We were both getting along just fine, taking the piss and not taking each other seriously, until he strolled in and made us both feel like there was an issue when there wasn't. I say we boycott his blog.

Of course I don't ... I'M BEING FACETIOUS! But I need to make sure everyone's aware of that before signing off.

LuckyLuke, I only said that stuff about your family because it's true. You know it is. You told me so yourself. Say hi to you Mum for me.

And Javatari? Happy 21st (comment).

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home