Saturday, September 09, 2006

Merlo REVEALED!

A lot of people come up to me in the street and ask, “Why is your blog called Merlo’s Blog, when you go by the name Javatari?”

And I always respond the same way, by saying, “How the hell do you know who I am?”

Often they respond by saying, “Well I was standing behind you in the internet café where you were just posting on your blog and a read a bit of it.”

Sometimes I yell in reply, “Get a life you git and stop following me.”

But to all you kind readers out there…all two of you, I thought I would explain the phenomenon behind the name of this little hillock in the landscape that is the intermijig.

It all started about two years ago I believe, when a couple of thespian (actors, but not gay) friends wrote a play to perform in the comedy festival. It was about these two loser guys who were getting advice about women from another guy who was just as clueless as they were. One ended up unsuccessfully hitting on his interior decorator, and the other was used as a doormat for an attractive blonde. Throughout the play, at certain points the phone would ring and the audience would hear a voice on the answering machine who was basically just calling up to chat with the guys for no reason and even though he specified in the message that it wasn’t important, he declared that he would call back later. The two guys never did ring him back and it turned out in the end that the phone guy was stalking the interior decorator chick. That phone guy was referred to as Merlo and I did his voice!! Yes the masked Merlo has finally been revealed! My buddies had no faith in my acting abilities so they recorded my voice to be played back as voicemail. No respect I tell you. The play was funny, but the whole Merlo thing was a bit of an in-joke, so I decided to use the name in my blog title. Mostly cause it amused me and also I wasn’t in the right state of mind to come up with anything clever when I name this thing. So there you are, mystery solved. Go about your business.

7 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

I've been meaning to ask you that for some time but kept forgetting.
So what's the story behind the Javatari bit?
Unless that is in fact your real name of course.

7:03 PM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

Who wrote this masterpiece of which you speak Javatari? Sounds like a great show...

However, you have actually got it wrong. Merlo was stalking the next door neighbour (as was every character), not the interior decorator.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Steph, I read your mind and answered the question for you. As for Javatari, well, it could be that I was born in Java and liked playing Atari as a young boy, but that would be stupid and is a lie.

Luckyluke, I wish to protect the innocent by not mentioning names. I always thought the interior decorator was the neighbour?? Next you'll be telling me that the butler didn't do it!

1:32 AM  
Blogger luckyluke said...

Technically, the interior decorator was a neighbour because she lived in the same apartment block. But the neighbour who was being stalked was a separate person. What probably confused you is that we had the same actress playing both characters. Hmmm...probably should've thought that through a bit better since you saw the show twice and still didn't realise.

2:20 AM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Luckyluke, Oh yes that's right. Same actress different characters. Maybe when they make the movie they will be able to afford two actresses.

11:45 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

I'm so glad this mystery is finally at rest.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I liked it better when it was a mystery.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home