Thursday, November 22, 2007

The joys of a good election.

I, like all Australians of voting age have to vote in the federal election tomorrow, and the burden weighs heavily on my broad, masculine shoulders…well they are shoulders at least. We have the great democratic choice between one of two guys running the country. That’s what it boils down to. Who really cares about those local nobodies you see posters for all over the place. I’ve never heard of any of them before, so why should I vote for them, they all seem to be cut from the same mold if you ask me.

As you might be able to tell by now, I’m not much into politics, or politicians for that matter. If someone starts talking to me about parliaments, houses, back benchers, etc, my eyes glaze over faster that a glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut. But stupid analogies aside, I’m just totally cynical of politics cause there is nothing keeping politicians or their parties from breaking, forgetting or rephrasing their campaign promises. Apart from the peoples ability to get rid of them after their term!

My favourite part of the campaign trail is over now and that’s the tv and radio ads. The methods used to promote one party and put down the other are nothing short of school yard thinking. Here’s an example I just made up which bares a similarity with many of the ads I’ve heard recently: “Mr X’s party believes your family deserves job security and financial security. (Said in a deep sleazy voice)--> Mr Y’s party eats babies, pisses on your job and steals money from your bank account while you sleep. (back to cheery voiceover) Vote Mr X’s party.”

So it’s off to some crowded polling station I go tomorrow to see if the government of this country will change, or be stuck with the same lot we’ve had for the last 11 years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Did you do a happy dance or what?

5:31 PM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Steph, maybe not a happy dance, but I was pleased with the result.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home