Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Blond Moment

I rarely do stupid things, but the other night I had a real blonde moment. But firstly some history. I work on a technical support helpdesk and I usually answer the phone by saying something like, " [business name] helpdesk, Javatari speaking." Then after they say hi and tell me who they are, I often say, "How can I help you." So now that you know that I can tell the annecdote. It was late in the day and I was pretty tired, but I had to call the helpdesk of another business that we had previously logged a work order with. So I called and waited on hold for a bit and began to daydream which was a big mistake cause when the lady on the other answered I began by saying, "Hi this is Javatari from the helpdesk, I mean helpdesk. How can I help you, err, I mean I was calling to find out about a work order we placed." By this stage the woman on the other end of the line was pissing herself laughing at the idiot who couldn't work out basic telephone protocol for when you are the caller. The annoying thing was that I was supposed to be calling to find out why they weren't acting faster on a job, and starting out by sounding like a chump isn't the best way to demonstrate your authority.

4 Comments:

Blogger Enny said...

I worked at Pizza Haven when I was a young(er)in' - I'd be lying if I told you I hadn't answered my home and new work phone with 'Pizza Haven, Enny speaking'!

12:56 AM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Enny, I've come very close to doing that at home and at work I've come very close to answering the phone with, "What do ya want!"

7:28 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

It's the hazzard of having to answer phones.
I used to work in a taxi call center and once answered my home phone by saying " Pick up address?".

4:54 AM  
Blogger Javatari said...

Steph, at least we can give some amusement to the person on the other end.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home