Sunday, July 08, 2007

We now return you to your regular viewing.....

Well, the TAR season has finished, so now I have to start spouting my own brand of crap again. To be honest I'm not sure what to say now.....which reminds me of the one and only internet date I went on, so I'll tell you about that.

I don't even remember how it started, but I met a girl online, sight unseen, and started chatting with her via email. I think it was probably 7 or so years ago (I'm really bad at remembering specific years). We were both at uni and had crappy jobs so at least had that in common. The emailing was very friendly and we seemed to get along really well in text. Sharing stories and laughs.

After some back and forth over a period of time we agreed to send each other a photo. She had originally played down her looks before doing so and was somewhat reluctant to send a pic, while I had accurately described my chiselled abs and stunning appearance...*cough, cough* Anyway, she apparently liked the way I looked and after seeing her photo I had to explain that I don't date transexuals. Ok I'm kidding about that, but it would've made this story more interesting. I'll be nice and say she was pretty average looking, but seeing as how I'm not a shallow prick I agreed that we should meet up and have a date. We spoke on the phone before hand and made her laugh with my Sean Connery impersonation. I have no idea why I impersonated Sean Connery, but it must have been good cause she still wanted to go on a date.

We decided to go and see a movie, so that if things didn't go well at least there would be a period of time where I didn't have to speak to her. For all the friendlyness we had on the web, when we finally met face to face, there was no chemistry. Absolutely 0%. So we got the tickets (I paid) and walked around for a bit to kill some time before it began. Rarely has there been such awkward silences between two people. We had pretty much discussed all the small talk stuff on the net, so neither of us had any material to break the ice (my Connery impression having been used up).

Long story short, we watched the movie, afterward I walked her to the train station, said goodbye, with no physical contact, and drove home myself. The next email from me pretty much stated that I didn't really know what to say to her now and she replied that she didn't know where to go from there either. After that we didn't email each other again. I moved on and I only hope she didn't have any hard feelings and didn't blame herself. So there you have it, that was my one and only internet date. Perhaps next time I'll tell you about picking up hookers in seedy bars.

5 Comments:

Blogger luckyluke said...

About time you stopped being so self-indulgent on your own personal blog! Enough of the TV reviews and more stories from your miserable and pathetic life, I say!!!!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Luckyluke is one cheeky fecker!
Anyhoo, I've met people from the online world before and making conversation is ALWAYS hard.
It's like "Did I tell you about the time when......ok, I did, what about my theory on...yeah that too...ok... *cough* nice weather we're having".

The intarwebs are good for an ice breaker but BAD for real time conversations.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I hate being out on dates with no chemistry. Its like you can't get out of there fast enough, but don't want to hurt the person's feelings either.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Javatari said...

luckyluke, why don't you go and slam your face into a big book...a facebook.

Steph, exactly. But I'm sure you and I would get on like a house on fire.

Kris, it's hard for awesome people like us who don't want to just seem like rude mongrels, but want to get out of the situation.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

UPDATE PLEASE!

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home